This Copycat Popeye Mashed Potatoes recipe is a godsend. You can make it in your own kitchen in less than half an hour and it comes out just like you bought it at Popeye's. Deliciously creamy and tangy, this has to be one of my favorite potato side dishes.
During that particularly important time of year when you have to cook a lot of dishes, you want your potato recipes to be a little hands-free.
Thanksgiving recipes especially have that need, and this mashed potato recipe is perfect as a Thanksgiving side dish. Your taste buds will thank you.
- ❤️ Why you'll love it
- 🧅 ingredients
- 🥣 Instructions for use
- 🔄 Substitution and variation
- 🔌 Equipment
- 🥗 Other delicious accessories
- 🧊 storage
- 💡 Tips
- 👩🍳 Frequently Asked Questions
- Popeye Mashed Potatoes
- reader's favorite
- 💬 comment
❤️ Why you'll love it
- As mentioned above, it's hard to screw up. It's easy, quick and has few ingredients.
- I don't know about you, but I could eat the entire menu at a delicious Popeyes restaurant. Not only their mashed potatoes, but their delicious Popeye chicken, Popeye sauce, red beans, and their Cajun rice blew me away every time - don't even get me started on their biscuits...my favorite of all the menu favorites.
- It's the best thing to do when you need comfort food. It is the perfect comfort food, not when you want to lose weight.
- Yukon gold potatoes
- cloves of garlic
- Whole milk
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- creole seasoning
For quantities, see the recipe card at the bottom of this article.
🥣 Instructions for use
- trin 1:First, peel the potatoes and cut them into 2-inch pieces. Put the garlic and 2 teaspoons of salt in a large pot or pan. Bring a large pot of water to the boil over high heat and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Trin 2:Drain the potatoes and garlic in a slotted spoon and return to the pan. Add to medium heat and boil off any remaining excess water.
- Trin 3:Add the remaining dressing, warm milk and melted butter. Mash it all together until it is creamy and free of lumps.
- Trin 4:Ladle into casseroles or bowls, sprinkle with some chopped parsley, scallions or chives for garnish, and serve with your favorite sauce recipe.
hint: Make sure the milk is heated and the butter is melted and still warm, this is important to prevent lumps.
🔄 Substitution and variation
- heavy cream- Try using heavy cream instead of milk for extra decadence.
- garlic powder- If you don't have fresh garlic, you can add a little garlic powder when you add the spice.
- onion powder- Add a dash for extra flavor.
- chili- Add some heat.
- Indian spice- You can use a Cajun seasoning mix instead of Creole seasoning, it's pretty much the same.
- minced meat- It may seem strange, but I know many people who like to have a bit of meat in their mashed potatoes. So adding pork taso, ground pork or ground beef is a possible variation.
- beef soup- If you want to spice things up in that direction, add a little more.
❤Sharing is caring - Like our Facebook page❤
Below are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to allow us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate websites.
I like to cook my potatoes in my lovely big dutch oven, I find it helps to cook the water evenly faster and also holds the heat so when you put the potatoes back in it helps to remove the excess water.
I have an affiliate link in the recipe card below for the type of dutch oven I used in this recipe.
🥗 Other delicious accessories
- Crispy instant potatoes
- Cajun Green Beans
- Instant Pot White Beans
- Cranberry Apple Rice Pilaf- Delicious rice, sprinkled with cranberries and sliced apples. This is a surprisingly delicious Thanksgiving side dish.
- cheese grits- Cheese grits are a regular part of southern cuisine. Pair grits with any breakfast food or shrimp dish, even chicken. Grits go well with almost anything.
- Cajun majsbrød- What is a meal with delicious cornbread?
- Popeye Cajun Fries- Another great fast food copycat recipe from me - it's like french fries, but Cajun style.
- Popeye's Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe.
Mashed potatoes are good for me tooRecipe for southern liver and onion gravy. or use this oneIrish mashed potatoes.
Once completely cooled, store these Popeye Moss in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Pro tip:Using yellow waxy potatoes helps give mashed potatoes a delicious creamy texture, so Yukon Gold potatoes are my favorite choice and make the best mashed potatoes. Don't forget to serve it with some Popeye Cajun sauce.
👩🍳 Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to make mashed potatoes?
A masher works fine as long as you cook the potatoes well enough and use hot milk and butter, mash them thoroughly. Otherwise, if there are lumps left, you can use a food processor, blender or stand mixer.
Should the potatoes be put in hot or cold water?
It is important to put the potatoes in cold water before heating to cook them.
Why can't I add cold butter and cream/milk?
You cool the potatoes too quickly and have a greater chance of clumping in the mash.
Will the potatoes cook faster if I cut them smaller?
Sure. I like to cut my potatoes into 2 inch pieces so they are not so small that the water takes away too much of the flavor...but small enough that they cook faster than whole potatoes.
Are mashed potatoes a healthy food?
If you use lighter dairy products such as skimmed milk, low-fat butter, etc. then yes. But this is where all the fun (and flavor) comes in. Potatoes have many vitamins/minerals so they are good for you.
if you tried thisCopycat Popeye mashed potatoes recipeOr any other great recipe from my site, let me know how it turns out in the comments section below, we love hearing from our readers!
If you like this recipe, please rate it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 3/4 cup whole milk, warm
- ½ cup butter, unsalted, melted
- Cut the peeled potatoes into 2-inch cubes and add enough cold water to cover the top 2-inch potatoes. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and cloves of garlic and bring to the boil. Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain in a slotted spoon, then return to the pan and cook off excess liquid over low heat.
- Add remaining salt, pepper, Creole seasoning, warmed milk and melted butter. Mash until creamy.
Add Cajun sauce if you like.
As a member of Amazon Affiliate and other affiliate programs, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Amount per portioncalories401Total fed13 gramSaturated Fat8 gramTransfedt0 gramunsaturated fat4 gramcholesterol33 mgsodium1235 mgcarbohydrate66 gramfiber7 gramsugar5 gramprotein9 gram
Have you made this recipe?
Feel free to write a comment or share a photo on the bloginterest
- Louisiana Seafood Bisque recipe
- baked goods
- Texas Roadhouse Grilled Shrimp Recipe
- boudin bold
some more food
- 30 minute broccoli cheddar soup
- Little Caesars Italian Cheese Bread Recipe
- Craneberry Pecan Cheese Ball Bites
- Amish Fudge Recipe